Sunday, June 19, 2011

Oriental Salad

Here we go again! Another recipe..."Oriental Salad!" I was excited to try this recipe because it's different than the other recipes I've made, plus I love salads! And guess who it's from? My Auntie Kynda, again! :) She's a great cook! Whenever we went over to her house growing up, we would always look forward to her yummy food. Here's the salad...


And here's the recipe...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oriental Salad
from the kitchen of Kynda Lemiere

Mix together in a bowl:
1 pkg. coleslaw mix
3 green onions, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
cashews (1/2 cup to 1 cup, depending on how much you like them)
2 pkgs. crumbled Ramen noodles

Dressing:
1 cup oil
2 Oriental Ramen seasoning packets
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mix all of the dressing ingredients together in a blender. Pour over above salad and stir together well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are two additional ingredients that I added to this salad: chicken and sliced almonds (instead of the cashews). I also think some red bell pepper would be a great addition. Another modification I made is that I did not include the water chestnuts, but if you like them then go for it. For the oil, I used olive oil. And since I ended up using the remainder of my olive oil for this recipe, I used the empty bottle to store the dressing in once it was made. I did not pour the dressing over the salad when I initially made it because I wanted to eat on it for a couple days, and the dressing would've caused the coleslaw mix to become soggy. Instead, I stored the dressing separately and used it as I ate the salad, which is what I completely recommend. I took the salad to work the next day and shared it with my friends, Val and Sarah, and they really liked it too. I definitely suggest trying this one out!

Here's the dressing after all the ingredients were mixed together.
 One more recipe for tonight, and then I'm done! Here it goes...

"Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit." John 3:5

No comments:

Post a Comment